History of the Annual Dental Golf Day
"The matches started in 1957 and were played between Staff and Students at The Royal Birkdale Golf Club. Mr Stanley Hilton-Collinge, who was a local Dental Practitioner, and retired Honorary Consultant Oral Surgeon at the Liverpool Dental Hospital acted as host for the matches. The matches were played in the late afternoon so as to cause as little disruption to the clinics as possible. Mr Collinge provided a Ham and Eggs Supper for all the Students as well as paying their Green Fees which in total amounted to £11-10-0p. for the 8 players. The Ham and Eggs Supper was priced at 12/6p. (67½ p) This was a very generous gesture by Mr Collinge."
In 1959, The Staff-Student Trophy was presented by Professor Geoffrey Slack
In 1963, the first report of the teams playing with handicaps although it was rumoured that the handicaps favoured the staff rather than the students!
The match continued until 1987 as a Staff vs Student competition but in 1988 the competition was opened up to the Alumni and has continued to the present day in this format with several Alumni teams supporting the event.
The 100 Club - for many years the staff and Alumni members contributed £15 per year to the 100 Club - a fund which helped to subsidise the student members taking part in the event. The 100 club was closed down in 2012 but the students continue to be sponsored for the golf day by the generous sponsorship of our cooperate sponsors and that of the Staff and Alumni members.
Mr John Rostron MBE
Dr Mike Martin OBE
Miss Colette Balmer